Tuesday, July 5, 2022
Best of Cheshire
HomeFamilyCHESHIRE VETS WARN OF PARVOVIRUS OUTBREAK

CHESHIRE VETS WARN OF PARVOVIRUS OUTBREAK

Dog owners in the North West have been warned about an outbreak of the deadly parvovirus in the region.

 

Linnaeus-owned Northwest Veterinary Specialists (NWVS) in Sutton Weaver, Cheshire, has issued the alert after dealing with a sudden influx of cases.

 

NWVS’s clinical director Prue Neath is keen to raise awareness about the contagious virus that, if left untreated, can prove fatal.

 

Prue said: “Parvovirus is a highly-contagious virus which attacks a dog’s intestines and causes severe vomiting, diarrhoea and dehydration.

 

“There is an extremely high mortality rate in untreated and unvaccinated pets so dog owners should seek immediate veterinary care if their pet is displaying these symptoms.

 

“We have recently treated a number of cases from the North West, and the Liverpool area in particular, so I’m urging all dog owners to take extra care and be aware of the dangers.”

 

One recent case involved a five-month-old cross breed called Scout who needed ten days’ hospitalisation to beat the virus.

 

NWVS’s internal medicine specialist Chantal Rosa and internal medicine clinician Harry Warwick successfully dealt with Scout’s case.

 

Harry said: “Scout was very unwell when she arrived at Northwest. She was vomiting, had diarrhoea and was barely responsive.

 

“She’d been vaccinated as a puppy but was still very unwell with the virus. Scout was initially treated for signs of shock and once stabilised a feeding tube was inserted and additional supportive care was continued over a period of 10 days.

 

“She’s now fully recovered but unfortunately that’s not always the case with parvovirus.

 

“It is spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with contaminated faeces and is very hard to detect and very hard to kill.

 

“It can survive for extremely long periods on the ground, on surfaces, in kennels, on people’s hands and clothing and can also be carried on a dog’s fur or paws.

 

“Vaccination is the best prevention and immediate treatment is essential to save lives.”

 

Scout is now home with grateful owners Tony Wong and Angela Coleman, from Liverpool.

 

Tony said: “It was incredibly alarming to see the dramatic deterioration in Scout and we didn’t think she was going to make it.

 

“We kept talking to her on the way to Northwest because we feared she was going to go. She was in toxic shock and was just a husk, but as soon as we got there the team immediately got to work.”

 

“Harry was fantastic, his communication with us was continuously impeccable. That continuity of care and support really was so re-assuring at all times, to add, from admin’ to nursing staff every communication with Northwest was so clear and simple.

 

“Scout had been vaccinated against parvovirus as a puppy, but she was still an extremely poorly dog when she was admitted. It was thanks to the expertise of Harry and the whole team she survived.

 

“Scout was an extremely affectionate, sociable pup before contracting parvovirus and we did have fears the extreme hospitalisation experience as a whole would affect her adversely.

 

“However, she’s come out an even more loving dog than before and still excited and comfortable to visit our vet. In our opinion, this is due to the genuinely loving approach of the whole team responsible for her care – we are so incredibly impressed and thankful.”

 

Northwest Veterinary Specialists (NWVS) is one of the UK’s leading specialist-led animal hospitals. It offers care in anaesthesia and analgesia, diagnostic imaging, emergency and critical care, internal medicine, neurology and neurosurgery, oncology, orthopaedics and soft tissue surgery.

 

For more information visit www.nwspecialists.com or search for Northwest Veterinary Specialists on social media.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments