Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

4.7 C
Cheshire
Sunday, April 6, 2025

Man jailed for sharing intimate images of a woman

A man who shared intimate images of a woman which had been taken nearly two decades ago, has been jailed.

Mark Harrison (41) of Heysham Close, Stoke-on-Trent, appeared at Chester Crown Court on Monday, having pleaded guilty to the offences.

He was jailed for 27 months for stalking involving serious distress, and distributing private images with intent to cause distress.

The Cheshire victim was made aware from third parties that intimate photographs of her were circulating on various websites.

Private images were posted on social media from fake accounts made in both her name and false names. These were also shared with her friends and family, as well as on local social media pages.

Checks were completed against two of the offending social media profiles, which showed that they were created and used at Harrison’s home address.

He was subsequently arrested in August 2022 and officers located the images on his devices, along with web searches for the victim’s name.

On top of his 27-month sentence, he was issued with a 15-year restraining order and his electronic devices and digital storage will be destroyed.

“Alone and embarrassed”

Harrison’s victim, who has life-long anonymity, said: “For a long time, I felt very alone and embarrassed about what was happening to me and although I hadn’t done anything wrong at all, I didn’t know who to talk to or where to get any support from.

“I Googled ‘revenge porn help’ and approached ‘Revenge Porn Helpline’. They have really helped me over the years, I can’t speak highly enough about them and what they have done.

“They search for the intimate images and actively apply to the websites and pages to have them removed.

“I couldn’t have done this without their support, and really encourage anyone who might be in a similar position to reach out to a support group and ask for help – you will be listened to and supported.”

Immeasurable distress

DC Lauren Constable, the officer leading the investigation, said: “Harrison’s behaviour and actions have had a significant impact on his victim.

“She has suffered in every aspect of her life and has been subjected to an immeasurable amount of distress because of him.

“But she had the courage to report this to Cheshire Police and the sentence Harrison has now received is as a result of her bravery and the subsequent police investigation.

“The judge presiding over the case read the Victim Impact Statements, which has enabled him to really understand the impact this has had on the victim and give her a voice inside the courtroom.

“I implore anyone who might be going through something similar to report this to police, and to seek advice and support from the available agencies.

“While I understand how uncomfortable this can be, sharing private images is a serious offence and will be dealt with robustly.

“This has been reflected today, and puts into practice laws and legislations surrounding this type of offence that are still relatively new. Please remember, help is here, and you do not need to suffer this in silence.”

Offences can be reported to Cheshire Police on 101.

Helen
Helen
I'm the editor here at Business Cheshire and I'd keen to hear what's happening where you live. With more than 18 years' experience in journalism and digital PR, I'm particularly keen to hear from businesses with exciting news.
spot_imgspot_img

Latest

Planning consent granted in Congleton for McGoff Group

The McGoff Group has received planning permission for a...

Tooltap Launches in Manchester to Bring Equipment Sharing to Local Communities

Manchester-based platform is making it easier for residents to...

Enviro Waste Management Rebrands to Champion Business-Focused Waste Solutions

Enviro Waste Management has revealed a fresh brand identity...

ECB Intraday Liquidity Framework Offers Direction—But Practical Compliance Still a Major Challenge

The European Central Bank’s (ECB) newly established intraday liquidity...
spot_imgspot_img

Newsletter

Don't miss

XIMEA Unveils Ultra-High Resolution 245.7MP Camera Powered by Sony’s IMX811 Sensor

XIMEA has once again pushed the boundaries of imaging...

Thousands Risk Losing Personalised Number Plates as DVLA Enforcement Tightens

A growing number of private number plate holders across...

Batman star Val Kilmer dies, aged 65

Hollywood star Val Kilmer, best known for his roles...

ECB Intraday Liquidity Framework Offers Direction—But Practical Compliance Still a Major Challenge

The European Central Bank’s (ECB) newly established intraday liquidity...

More News

Man jailed for drugs supply offences in Crewe

A man who was found with cocaine and more than £22,000 cash at his home address has been jailed for drugs supply offences in...

Fraudster sentenced after stealing almost £80,000 from employer

A man who stole almost £80,000 from his employer has been handed a two-year suspended prison sentence. David Kissack was also ordered to pay £19,000...

Jail for duo who burgled sick pensioner’s home

Two burglars have been jailed after targeting the unoccupied home of a sick pensioner. Krysztof Barwinski (63) of Warwick Avenue, Bewsey, and Szymon Antos (32)...